A well-defined strategy guides everything an organisation does and aims to achieve, creating a shared understanding across the organisation.
MXA works with organisations to provide clarity and common purpose through goal definition, strategic planning and business model development, drawing on the latest thinking across public and private sectors.
We specialise in designing operating models to put strategy into practice. We have expertise across all layers of the model including people and organisation, process, technology, governance and performance. We can deliver a holistic and implementable operating model for the entire organisation.
Our team is experienced in working with complex organisations with more than 10,000 employees to divisions of just 10 people to help answer big questions that define their future direction:
- Why do you exist?
- What do you value?
- What do you want to achieve?
- How do you behave?
Our team works with organisations to help define what purpose and vision means for employees and customers, and what it could mean for competitors. We work with executives and senior leaders to help shape priorities and address fundamental questions:
- How do I allocate resources?
- What are the guiding principles for decision makers?
- How do internal parts of the business align their strategies and plans?
- How is success measured?
- How does the organisation interact with the ecosystem? What does it mean for partners? For competitors?
- Which parts of the organisation do not align to the strategy? What needs to change? What activity needs to stop? What are the risks of change?
Our experienced consultants help organisations to not only develop a business strategy, but to articulate what it means over the next 3-5 years by answering questions that affect the whole business:
- What are the tangible activities your organisation will perform to make it happen?
- What needs to happen now? What happens over the next three-to-five years?
- Who is responsible for ensuring it happens?
- How is the strategy disseminated? Who is responsible for making it happen?
- How does it tie back to goals, planning and vision of success?
- How do the strategy, business objectives and operational plans align?
- How do you manage the organisation’s risk profile and conduct risk management?
Our experts help organisations to set their purpose and vision, then validate alignment between the purpose and how the organisation allocates resources to deliver value.
A business model describes:
- The customers, the products and services provided by the organisation, and communication and distribution channels for delivering goods and services
- The position of an enterprise within its value network and the nature of its business relationships
- The arrangement of resources and activities
- The economics of an enterprise – how it creates value, and derives revenue from that value to recover the cost of delivery
Our view is that an operating model should be in the organisation’s own language, easy to understand, and widely communicated to provide visibility of how all roles and resources support delivery of the mission and vision. The model also needs performance measures to provide decision makers with the information they need to assess performance against the organisation’s strategy and re-calibrate as needed.
We build practical, tangible and implementable business and operating models. Our experience is in helping organisations with operating model design that shapes and articulates how they should be structured, operated, and managed when all the components are brought together.
An operating model describes how we do what we do to deliver products and services. It includes:
- Who we are and how we organise ourselves… people, organisational structures, roles, lines of reporting
- Where we allocate effort… processes, policies, third parties, technology
- Who we do it for and how we engage… customers, channels, stakeholders
- How we control and manage our organisation… governance, control, performance management
- Where we do it… location, physical footprint
- How well do we do it… capability, quality, performance and service standards
We understand that every organisation is unique in its mission and vision, where it adds value, the way it comes together to deliver on its strategy, and the sector in which it operates.
We also appreciate that not all reviews are the same because different organisations face different problems.
Our team is experienced across a range of organisational reviews to:
- Improve performance (efficiency and effectiveness)
- Identify savings
- Improve impact
- Meet requirements, including legislative and whole-of-government
- Reduce risk
- Improve quality
- Improve culture
- Assess performance, including against recommendations from an earlier review