Development of a Release Management Framework
Case Study: Leidos
Leidos is a key partner to the Department of Defence managing the largest government EUC platform in Australia. Leidos required support and the development of a best practice Release Management framework for use by the EUC On Going Support function.
What we did
MXA engaged with stakeholders to capture the needs and opportunities of key roles and to identify the drivers for change. We then developed, tested and iterated the draft Release Management Framework with key stakeholders across Leidos and Defence to ensure it catered to the needs of both organisations. This user-centred approach empowered Leidos staff to take ownership of the Framework and drive change. To further streamline the process, MXA recommended the use of both business process and technology automation tools for release management and provided recommendations for best fit and use.
MXA delivered a best practice Release Management Framework which has allowed Leidos and Defence staff to perform their roles more effectively and optimised outcomes for Defence. MXA also produced Role Maps that enabled clear communication of each stakeholder role in the process, the bigger picture context for that individual, key relationships and the measurements used to define success in their role. These posters were pivotal in achieving staff engagement across multiple service delivery towers.
Implementation of the Framework:
- Enabled the structured processing of rolling system updates to over 100,000 end-points;
- Facilitated engagement with thousands of business system owners to support continual release updates for applications and infrastructure in a co-ordinated and planned fashion;
- Supported Defence’s management and delivery of capability across Service Towers; and
- Enforced integrity of the Production environment.
“It’s been a pleasure having the MXA team come in and really help us drill down and focus on the key business and success criteria we’re aiming for. The quality of the output throughout your engagement will certainly hold us in good stead as we continue to support Defence in the years to come.”
– Shannon McLachlan, Program Management Senior Manager, End User Computing, Leidos.